Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day One of the Master Cleanse

I feel bad that I'm only starting to write about this now, since I've been planning it for about a week. Now that I'm actually doing it I feel like I should talk about it to keep my momentum up. I'm kind of excited for this, though. I feel like I'm really prepared.

Before I started I reread the original Master Cleanse by Stanley Burroughs.  I'll admit it's kind of hippie-dippy and full of pseudo-science but there's also some real information in there. I'm going to take a moment here and assume that you're familiar with the Master Cleanse. It's the "diet" that consists of a drinking lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water.  It sounds crazy but works really well as a cleanse and can be used as a jumping off place for a diet.

The first day involves missing food and headaches. I haven't been hungry (you get about 1200 calories just with the lemonade) but I am definitely missing food. The headaches can be for a few reasons. I get mostly caffeine headaches since I'm going without coffee or Diet Coke.

I've found out a few things this time. The first, which I found reading Master Cleanse Secrets, is that I can drink any caffeine free herbal teas and even mix them with the lemonade for flavor.  The original book by Stanley Burroughs only mentions that you can drink peppermint tea. I got a few different teas but am thinking of picking up the peppermint since it can act as an appetite suppressant.

The second thing I've learned is that it's a better bet to buy a few lemons every day than to buy a bag.  I found that the lemons in the bag are smaller and you don't get as much of a chance to judge them. About half the bag I bought yesterday were unusable.

I'm not really enjoying the last 10 or so ounces of the batch I made this morning. Well, actually, I'm not drinking it. Just looking at it and thinking it doesn't look very appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment