Saturday, September 3, 2011

Broke

Ok, ok, I broke down. I just couldn't do it. There was nothing I wanted less in the world than to have another glass of that lemonade. I think I'm going to take something from the cleanse into my diet and start my mornings with some fresh squeezed juice (grapefruit) and limit my coffee seriously.

So, today I went to the store and picked up some fresh fruits and veggies. I was really disappointed to find they didn't have the pre-cut butternut squash. Butternut squash is difficult to peel, but it's so delicious. I was planning on making a version of Hungry Girl's Squash-tastic Shepherd's Pie. It's a real favorite of mine.

  • 1lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about half a squash)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 large onion chopped
  • 3/4 cup mushroom gravy (a bottle of the Heinz brand is perfect)
  • 1 Tbsp light butter
  • 1 clove garlic minced
You'll be mashing the squash so set that up like you would potatoes for mashing. For most of us that means putting it in a pot of water on the stove, but I won't judge if you involve the microwave or something.

In a medium pan, brown the turkey with the onion and garlic. Remove from heat, add the mixed vegetables (I sometimes like to add some chopped mushrooms as well) and the gravy.  Move to casserole dish or deep pie pan.

When the squash is soft drain off the water and mash with the butter. You can add salt and pepper to taste or whip it up with a hand blender if you'd like.  Layer the squash on top of the turkey and veggie mixture and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an oven that's been pre-heated to 400 degrees.

It makes about 4 servings, reheats wonderfully and allows for some playing with. Hungry Girl recommends a fat free gravy and using extra garlic and onion powder so you can go in that direction if you like.



Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment