Thursday, December 24, 2015

Peppermint Sugar Scrub

I need to warn you up front that I cannot guarantee my proportions here. I know there are only four ingredients but not so long ago I decided to make my own liquid castile soap from a bar and, while I've used it in other recipes that I use personally including this one, it went kind of sideways. It's kind of lumpy and weird, but it still makes a nice lather. I know, who'd have guessed I'd have problems with something like that? (You know, other than everyone who's ever met me.) In the long run, I blame trying to make too large of a batch the first time out.

But I digress. This recipe is small batch, requires few ingredients and is easy to manipulate to your own desires.

Let's start with the most basic recipe:

2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp liquid soap
1 Cup sugar
3 drops essential oil (obviously I used peppermint)

 Mix thoroughly. 

That's it! You're done. Except I haven't told you what kind of liquid soap, or for that matter sugar, to use. In truth, any. You may wind up needing more or less sugar, but not by much.

I used my "homemade" liquid castile soap so I tend to think of a liquid castile first but you could use an inexpensive liquid face soap or even just baby shampoo. Some versions I've read of this recipe skip the soap all together and just used 1/4 cup coconut oil.

 I also used a regular bag of white sugar and while I can't think of a reason to use anything else, my lack of imagination shouldn't limit anyone.

I thought about other fragrances and I like the idea of a more lively scent for a scrub. Something to wake a person up a little. If you're using a scented soap, you may opt to not add any essential oil.

This shouldn't be liquid-y at all. It will have a nice light consistency and be reminiscent of snow. That may mean that it's a struggle to properly fill a jar, but if you're doing anything resembling pouring it, you need more sugar. If the sugar melts in the liquid, it will stop being a scrub and just be goo.

This was the last project I finished before Christmas and they made for such a jolly little gift! (I'm enjoying the jar I made for myself, as well.



 Try some of my other DIY Christmas gifts

Decongestant Shower Melts
Decongestant Wax Melts
Fizzy Bath Salts

No comments:

Post a Comment