Thursday, December 24, 2015

Fizzy Bath Salts!




Why didn't I do this first? This was a clean, easy and cheap little project that I feel is certain to be enjoyed. 

You need very little:

  • 2 cup Epsom Salt
  • 1/2 cup Sea Salt
  • 1 cup Baking Soda
  • 1/2 cup Citric Acid (at the supermarket or hardware store in with the jarring supplies)
  • Food Coloring (I like 8 drops red, 4 drops blue)
  • 25-30 drops Essential Oil of Your Choice (I used lavender with a few drops of either sweet orange or peppermint)

First, I mixed these ingredients up in a large bowl until the color and consistency was about even. (Perhaps too even. As I look at photos from other bloggers I kind of like the flecks of color.) Then I sealed it in a large jar for a day or two so the smell would be even throughout. Finally, I packaged it up in fun Christmas themed mason jars I'd just gotten from Dollar General for $1 a piece.
There are certainly mistakes that could have been made, but I didn't make them. (For once.) I happened to have quite a bit of sea salt on hand and the citric acid was easy to find.

Leave a little room at the top of the jar you're ultimately storing them in. The top layer tends to get a little crusty and you'll appreciate the ability to shake it up a bit.

I did try to take the last couple tablespoons and  make these cute little bath bombs that everywhere I was reading said it was totally possible. I put the salts in one of my silicone cupcake molds, sprayed with a little water and pressed down on them. Not a success.

I hope my next couple projects go as well!


Check out my other DIY Christmas gifts

Decongestant Shower Melts
Decongestant Wax Melts
Peppermint Sugar Scrub

No comments:

Post a Comment