Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Small for You, Big for Me!

So much has changed! In classic Katherine styling I've been working different recipes and writing up blogs to accompany them. Some I'm perfecting the recipe before putting it out there, others lack pictures. (Hopefully, I'll put out a series of blogs on laundry and do-it-yourself products that I've researched, made and used by years end!)

Bigger than that, for me anyway, I met someone. I know! Almost 40, never married, set in my ways and I managed to meet a nice man that doesn't feel at all like a compromise.

If you don't know me, I'll give you a little hint of how comfortable as a singleton I was.  I posted this exactly five days before meeting Ben:

I was laughing for a few days about how funny and happily single I was. I was. I like not having to answer to anyone and the idea that I could take off on a moments notice. (Which is still true. I'd never considered that you could be involved with someone and still have those things.)

About a year before that I was watching a romcom and when the leading man got down on his knee to ask her to marry him I, without thinking, yelled "Don't do it!" at my television. It's a funny story, but I was a little embarrassed when it happened. (Ok, mostly because of the whole yelling at my TV thing.)

Now, I'm not saying that this is the love of my life, or my soulmate or any of those other ridiculous things I don't believe in. (Sorry, not ready to be a romantic quite yet.) But we are kind of insanely happy together. We're planning to move in together (way too soon). So, you may be seeing some lovely Ikea hacks or fun flea market finds. (We'll see. Recently I've only found boiled peanuts and orange soda at the flea market.)

Ben is lovable and funny and almost completely onboard with my new mantra "plastic free by 2023". (He's only about 80% onboard, but I only want to be about 90% plastic free so it may work.) He wants to raise chickens for eggs and is interested in ethical meat sources. (Do you think I could eat my own chickens? I'm not sure.)

Best news? He loves dogs.

It's all golden now. I know. Wait a year, you say. With complacency you'll each see what the other is really all about and then you'll feel differently. You're probably right. I'm just going to take this time, make it last as long as possible and enjoy it as much as I can.

I was in such a hurry when I was younger. I wanted to just be married already and start having kids. Now I just want to make this part last forever. It's not realistic and the day will come when things change and I'll try to enjoy that as much as possible when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment